James W. Murdoch
A native New Englander, Jim settled in Vermont after law school becoming a founding member of the firm. He has been practicing since 1968 concentrating in all areas of Family and Divorce Law, Federal and State Criminal Defense and Plaintiff's Personal Injury. Today, he primarily focuses on Family and Divorce Law.
In addition to serving as an Acting Judge in the Vermont Criminal Courts, he has been a member of various committees including the Parker Commission for the Unified Courts of Vermont and the Chittenden County/Family Court Advisory Committee. He has also served as past Chairman of the Vermont Bar Association's Family and Criminal Law Committees and as past President of the Vermont Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
He has numerous reported criminal cases involving the constitutionality of Vermont’s Rape Shield Law, possession of ecstacy, prosecutorial misconduct in a child sex abuse case and family cases involving pension division, alimony and child relocation issues. He has lectured frequently on Family and Criminal Law issues and acts as a mediator in selected family cases.
- Middlebury College, AB 1965
- Boston University, LLB 1968
- Certified Early Neutral Evaluator, U. S. District Court 1999
- Army National Guard Training relative to family issues during deployment
- Supreme Court of the State of Vermont, 1968
- United States District Court, District of Vermont, 1968
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1976
- United States Supreme Court, 1972
Memberships, Affiliations and Publications
- Chittenden County Bar Association (CCBA)
- Vermont Bar Association (VBA)
- Vermont Association for Justice (VTAJ)
- Vermont Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (VTACDL) (Past President)
- Jim has continually been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Family Law and Criminal Law. In 2011, he was specifically recognized for having been listed in Best Lawyers for more than 10 years.
- Jim has also been selected by Law & Politics and his peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers in the area of Family Law.