Divorce & Family
Obviously, family law isn’t just about divorce. It encompasses all issues involving families in the Family and Probate divisions of the recently reorganized Vermont Court system. We provide legal services to assist you with the following:
- legal separation/divorce
- dissolution of same sex marriages/civil unions
- emergency restraining orders/relief from abuse (RFA) proceedings
- parentage actions between unmarried parents
- custody (parental rights and responsibilities) and visitation including relocation and grand-parent visitation
- child support – establishment, modification and enforcement
- spousal maintenance (alimony)
- valuation and division of: real estate, pensions, retirements, family businesses, trusts and inheritances
Family law also includes juvenile and probate matters. Again, we offer you the experience and assistance you need with regard to:
- child abuse and neglect
- guardianships; and,
- termination of parental rights.
With our experience in negotiating and litigating these matters -- whether they are easily resolved or extremely complex or involve extreme conflict -- you can rest assured that we will strive to achieve the best possible end result as soon as is practicable so that you can move on to the next chapter of your life.
If you are an attorney with a client who would prefer to mediate a family dispute, Jim Murdoch’s years of experience practicing in the Family Court can provide your client(s) with the insight needed in order to amicably resolve their issues.